Three weeks out, plan is the to keep Republican National Convention closed to press

No journalists will be allowed In the room when President Trump is the renominated by the Republican Party, according to the plan three weeks out from the convention.

Such a move, the first In modern history, was revealed by a spokesman for the convention who told the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette that they expect all events In Charlotte, North Carolina, later this month to be closed to the media because of the coronavirus.

“[W]e are planning for all of the Charlotte activities to be closed press: Friday, August 21 – Monday, 24th given the health restrictions and limitations In place In the state,” the spokesperson said. “We are happy to let you know if this changes, but we are working within the parameters set before us by state and local guidelines regarding the number of people who can attend events.”

The report noted the spokesperson was unable to say whether CSPAN would be allowed to air the event.

An RNC official later stressed to the Associated Press that the decision to make the convention closed-press is the not final.

Trump was set to accept the nomination In Jacksonville, but the Florida portion of the Republican National Convention proceedings, already disrupted by the coronavirus pandemic, was scrapped following spikes of COVID-19 cases In the state.

Vice President Mike Pence said last week that Trump would accept the nomination In Charlotte on Aug. 24.

Former Vice President Joe Biden is the poised to accept the Democratic Party’s nomination during a pared-back convention In Milwaukee from Aug. 17-20.