South Australia will open its borders to allow residents from the ACT into the state but remain closed to New South Wales.
The South Australian Transition Committee met on Tuesday morning and decided the new border restrictions would come into effect at midnight.
ACT residents will be able to enter the state without completing a 14 day mandatory quarantine while NSW residents will remain subject to the restrictions.
‘Effective midnight tonight the requirement to quarantine will be lifted for people travelling between ACT and South Australia,’ Police Commissioner Grant Stevens said.
South Australia announced it would open to residents from the ACT on Tuesday, allowing residents to travel to the state without spending 14-days in quarantine. The new restrictions will come into effect at midnight (Barossa Valley pictured)
SA Premier Steven Marshall (pictured left) said the restrictions would be altered in line with health advice. The state is expected to remain closed to NSW ‘for the foreseeable future’
He said the 14 day quarantine would remain in place for NSW residents ‘for the foreseeable future’.
‘The advice from the Chief Public Health Officer is that we want to see a better situation in terms of community transmission before we relax the restrictions on NSW.
‘It’s not possible to put a time frame on it but the indicators are that NSW is heading in the right directions,’ Commissioner Stevens explained.
He said health authorities were looking for a period of at least two-weeks without community transmission before opening the border.
Travellers from the ACT will still be required to fill out approval forms and declarations they have not been outside the ‘safe community transmission zone’ prior to travelling.
‘This is our way of assuring as best as possible that those people travelling between SA and other places have not exposed themselves unnecessarily to the risk of COVID-19 and bringing it into SA.
‘You can only come from ACT by air because to come by road you would have to travel through NSW and then the 14 day quarantine period would apply,’ he said.
SA Premier Steven Marshall previously said he would not do anything that was contrary to health advice.
The eased restrictions will allow families to be reunited for the September school holidays and the October long weekend (travellers disembarking a plane at Byron Bay pictured)
SA Police Commissioner Grant Stevens said health authorities were waiting for community transmission to ease in NSW before allowing residents to travel to SA (beachgoers pictured)
‘We want to give as much of a leg up to those people who want to travel as soon as possible,’ the premier said on Monday.
‘I’m very keen to open that border the minute I get the advice that it’s safe to do so.’
The eased restrictions will allow families to be reunited in the lead up to the September school holidays and the October long weekend.
In other changes to coronavirus rules, the premier said he was hopeful crowds of up to 25,000, or about 50 per cent capacity, would be possible at Adelaide Oval for any AFL finals matches.
SA reported no new virus cases on Tuesday, leaving the state’s total since the start of the pandemic at 466 (Murray River pictured)
He said significant crowds were at games over the weekend, and SA Health officials were reviewing how those games were managed to consider any next steps in increasing numbers.
SA reported no new virus cases on Tuesday, leaving the state’s total since the start of the pandemic at 466.
The state has no active infections.
New South Wales recorded seven new coronavirus cases on Tuesday, two are linked to known clusters and one remains under investigation.
The remaining four cases are travellers in mandatory hotel quarantine.
Meanwhile, Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has faced growing calls to reopen her state for the sake of the national economy.
The pandemic-induced lockdowns and border restrictions have jeopardised one million tourism jobs, and are set to cost the country a whopping $54.6billion this year.
But on Monday, Ms Palaszczuk doubled down on her stance, telling reporters she is prepared lose the election to maintain hard borders and keep COVID-19 out of her state.
The premier has come under sustained fire from federal Coalition politicians like Prime Minister Scott Morrison, NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian and the state’s opposition Liberal National Party over the Queensland’s strict border policies in recent weeks.
Political opponents have accused Ms Palaszczuk of being heartless for not being more lenient about exemptions on compassionate grounds ahead of the election on October 31.
She’s promised to speed up the exemption application process, but she will stake her political future on keeping borders shut.
‘Now if it means I have to lose the election, I will risk all that if it means keeping Queenslanders safe,’ Ms Palaszczuk said on Monday.
Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has doubled-down on her hard-border restrictions despite growing calls for the state to reopen