The company said it was expanding the recall “out of an abundance of caution.” The F.D.A. said its investigation was ongoing and that not all of the suspected cases of aflatoxin poisoning had been confirmed through laboratory testing.
Aflatoxin is produced by the mold Aspergillus flavus, which can grow on corn and grains that are used as ingredients in pet food, the F.D.A. said. At high levels, the toxin can cause pets to become ill or die, or cause liver damage without symptoms, the department said. The toxin, it said, can still be present even if there is no visible mold.
Signs of aflatoxin poisoning in a pet could include sluggishness, a loss of appetite, vomiting, jaundice or diarrhea, the F.D.A. said.
While no illness have been reported in humans or cats, and there is no evidence that pet owners who handle food with aflatoxin are at risk of poisoning, the F.D.A. suggested that they wash their hands after handling their pet’s food.